The Consumer Affairs, Food and Civil Supplies Department is part of the Ex.Officio System at the A.P. Secretariat.The Ex.Officio Secretary to the Government is the Commissioner of Civil Supplies, and the Ex.Officio Joint Secretary to Government is the Director of Civil Supplies.
The Department of Consumer Affairs, Food and Civil Supplies, Government of Andhra Pradesh is playing a vital role in promoting Consumer Affairs and in protecting the Consumer Rights in the State. The Department with a view to protect the rights of Consumers, to increase awareness among the consumers to enable them to protect themselves and safe guard the interest of consumers is focusing on various aspects. The policies and programmes have been designed on these lines. Measures have been taken to strengthen the consumer redressal mechanism, encouraging the participation of consumer voluntary organizations in strengthening the consumer movement in Andhra Pradesh.
- To play a vital role in promoting Consumer Affairs and in protecting the Consumer Rights in the State
- To protect the rights of Consumers and increase awareness among the consumers
- To enable them to protect themselves and safe guard the interest of consumers is focusing on various aspects
- To take measures to strengthen the consumer redressal mechanism, encouraging the participation of consumer voluntary organizations in strengthening the consumer movement in Andhra Pradesh
The objectives of the Department are to:
- Implement various schemes on Consumer Affairs in the State to educate and enlighten the consumers about their rights and responsibilities, restrictive and unfair trade practices so as to fulfill their wants in purchasing goods or availing services.
- Motivate the consumer Voluntary Organizations existing in the State to take up consumer awareness programmes in the districts including rural and remote areas and also to involve them in the awareness programmes organized by the Department.
- Bring all the Departments / Agencies on common platform in organizing programmes to increase awareness among the consumers.
- Ensure speedy and inexpensive redressal of consumer grievances through Consumer Disputes Redressal Agencies.
Brief functions of the Civil Supplies Department are:
- Procurement of Paddy, Coarse grains like maize, jowar, bajra, pulses through the State Agencies under MSP Operations.
- Procurement of rice under mill levy under Decentralized procurement by APSCSC Ltd and for central pool to FCI
- Issue of ration cards to the eligible families
- Implementation e-pds project, monitoring of Public Distribution of Essential Commodities through FP Shops
- Implementation of Petroleum Products and other Control Orders under the Essential Commodities Act, 1955
- Implementation of Consumer Protection Act through State Commission and District Consumer Fora and other Consumer Welfare Schemes
- Monitoring of prices of Essential Commodities and Market Intervention Operations to contain the open market prices, if need arises.
- Grounding of LPG connections for BPL families (Deepam Scheme)
- Facilitating Crop Insurance
- Monitoring the enrolment of citizens under Aadhaar.
Commissioner of Civil Supplies
AP State Civil Supplies Corporation
Controller of Legal Metrology